This Section maintains interest in a variety of activities related to lawyers and judges. It sponsors or supports programs on litigation skills, effective advocacy and specialized areas of litigation practice in an effort to improve the art and technique of trial advocacy. It promotes professional values in trial advocacy lawyers, cosponsors a CLE seminar at the Bar convention and encourages members to submit articles to South Carolina Lawyer. Other projects include monitoring legislation and posting Section information on the Bar's Web site and through the Section's electronic mailing list.
- Improve, promote and recognize the art and skill of trial advocacy in the state and federal courts of South Carolina.
- Conduct or co-sponsor a seminar relating to trial or appellate advocacy at the South Carolina Bar Convention.
- Conduct or co-sponsor other seminars of the South Carolina Bar and other organizations relating to issues bearing on trial and appellate advocacy, including to the extent possible, one-hour ethics seminars that will be available free or at a discount to section members.
- Encourage members to submit trial or appellate advocacy related articles for publication in the South Carolina Lawyer, in any newsletters of the Bar, and on the Bar’s website.
- Monitor legislation and proposed court rules relating to trial and appellate practice and procedure; where appropriate, submit comments, recommendations and amendments to the South Carolina Bar, the Legislature and the Supreme Court.
- Work with other Sections, pisions and Committees of the South Carolina Bar on matters relating to or involving trial and appellate advocacy.
- Improve services to the Section’s membership.
Trial and Appellate Advocacy Award
(803) 799-6653, ext. 137