Health Care Law Section 2012-13 Goals
• Conduct a Section seminar and host a luncheon meeting at the 2013 Bar Convention.
• Conduct a Section seminar in May of 2013 that will address the Affordable Care Act and its impact on South Carolina.
• Provide several networking opportunities to Section members throughout the 2012-13 Bar year.
• Continue to inform Section members of significant developments in health care law through the Section listserv, via the Bar E-Blast, and on the Bar website.
The Health Care Law Section is calling for nominations for: Secretary (July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2015) and two General Council Member seats (July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2017). Nominees must be a member of the S.C. Bar Health Care Law Section in good standing. Responsibilities include participation in Section conference calls and meetings, assistance with Section seminars and other activities. The Council meets approximately seven times within the fiscal year. A brief bio and letter of recommendation should be sent to Tara Caine at firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (803) 799-4118 no later than November 1, 2013.
Save the Date!
S.C. Bar Convention
January 23-26, 2014
Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Section CLE: Friday, Jan. 24, 8:30-11:45 a.m. (presented with the Environment & Natural Resources Section and Administrative & Regulatory Law Committee)
Health Care Law Section Seminar
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: It’s Constitutional and It’s Being Implemented … Are You Ready?
• Getting Ready for the ACA
• Accountable Care Organization: A Model for Reimbursement Reform
• Physician Value Based Purchasing
• S.C. Department of Health and Human Services
• Impact on Private Payor Relationship with S.C. Hospitals and Physicians; Assessment of Exchanges and New Insurance Plans
• Health Care Reform for Employers
• S.C. ACA-Related Legislative Update
• False Claims Act Enforcement Defense Perspective
Health Care Law Resources
Public Health Emergencies: A Resource for Bench and Bar (2012 Edition, Department of Health and Environmental Control)
American Recovery & Reinvestment Act of 2009 -- Health Information Technology for Economic & Clinical Health (HITECH) Act:
• Available funds for providers to convert to electronic health records
• South Carolina Health Information Exchange (SCHIEx)
• Changes to HIPAA
Public Health Preparedness
South Carolina Prepares for a Pandemic Influenza: An Ethical Perspective (Sept. 2009)
Emergency Health Powers Act
Checklist for Health Care Professionals
State and Federal Resources
S.C. Dept. of Health & Environmental Control
Office of the General Counsel (803.898.3350)
S.C. Dept. of Health & Human Services
Office of the General Counsel (803.898.2795)
S.C. Dept. of Mental Health
Office of the General Counsel (803.898.8557)
S.C. Dept. of Labor, Licensing & Regulation
Office of the General Counsel (803.896.4470)
S.C. Medical Association
Office of General Counsel (803.798.6207)
S.C. Hospital Association
Advocacy and Communications (803.744.3522)
South Carolina Joint Underwriting Association
Office of the Director (864.240.2750)
S.C. Medical Malpractice Patients’ Compensation Fund
Office of the Director (803.896.5290)
U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services
• Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
• Office of the Inspector General (OIG)
• Office of Civil Rights (OCR) -- health information privacy
(803) 799-6653, ext. 146