S.C. Bar House of Delegates to meet Thursday, May 8
April 29, 2014
COLUMBIA, S.C. (April 29, 2014) —The South Carolina Bar will hold its House of Delegates meeting Thursday, May 8, at 1:30 p.m. at the Bar’s Conference Center in Columbia.
During its meeting, the House is expected to debate:
• a proposal regarding the Bar’s legal research member benefit;
• a recommendation from the Limited Scope Task Force for rule amendments supporting limited scope representation;
• a request from Lawyers Helping Lawyers to amend Rule 408(a)(2) to permit MCLE credit for education in stress management;
• a request from the Senior Lawyers Division to amend Rule 415 to allow uncompensated practice by retired lawyers;
• requests from the Professional Responsibility Committee regarding Rule 7.4 and proposed amendments to Rule 426, SCACR, regarding interim suspensions of lawyers;
• requests from the Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee for support of the proposed Immigration Assistance Service Act and support for legislation addressing the act of impersonating a lawyer; and
• proposed Bar budgets for 2014-15.
The House will also elect members of the Bar’s Nominating Committee. Outgoing President Alice F. Paylor will address the House, and incoming President J. Calhoun Watson will present goals for the coming year. The Young Lawyer of the Year and Law Related Education Lawyer of the Year awards will be presented, and graduates of the Bar’s Leadership Academy will be recognized.
Also during the meeting, the following 2014-15 Bar President and officers will be sworn into office:
President: J. Calhoun Watson, Columbia
President-Elect: Anne S. Ellefson, Greenville
Secretary: William K. Witherspoon, Columbia
Chair, House of Delegates: J. Steedley Bogan, Columbia
Board Members: James W. Bannister, Greenville; Robin A. Braithwaite, Aiken; William R. Johnson, Columbia; Patrick C. Wooten, Charleston; Paula Jill Wright, Myrtle Beach ABA State Bar Delegates: John D. Elliott, Columbia; Flo Lester Vinson, Florence
The South Carolina Bar, which has a membership of more than 15,000 lawyers, is dedicated to advancing justice, professionalism and understanding of the law.