Location: Columbia (Statewide Duties)
Job Type: Regular – Full-time
Job Summary: Under policies and procedures established by South Carolina Legal Services (SCLS) and Equal Justice Works and AmeriCorps (EOLC), the attorney will provide legal assistance to individuals with a legal barrier to employment such as an expungement, pardon, revocation/denial of an occupational license, loss of driver's license, etc. Experience with a broad range of other advocacy tools and community education, is strongly preferred. The position requires some evening and weekend work. It may also require overnight trips.
A more detailed job description is available upon request.
AmeriCorps Fellowship Living Allowance
▪ Living allowance of $24,200 per year
▪ Supplemental benefits for housing, student loans, professional dues and other allowable expenses on a reimbursement basis within defined limits
▪ Also includes health, dental and life insurance, Bar dues, retirement plan contribution
▪ Trainings and CLEs in relevant law areas, as needed
▪ Graduation from an approved Equal Justice Works Law School
▪ Member of the SC Bar
▪ Knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedures, Rules of Evidence, Rules of the Family Court, and Rules of Appellate Procedure
▪ Knowledge of the principles of civil practice and time management
▪ Excellent research and legal writing skills
▪ Strong oral, written and presentation communication skills
▪ Excellent computer skills, including Windows and Microsoft Office
▪ Excellent relationship building skills
▪ Demonstrated competence in working with diverse clients and client communities
▪ Commitment to public interest/poverty law
Job Open Date: August 5, 2014
Job Close Date: Until Filled
Applicants interested in applying for this position may submit a resume, two writing samples and three references with cover letter to:
South Carolina Legal Services, Attn: Human Resources – AmeriCorps Staff Attorney
PO Box 1445, Columbia, SC 29202 or by fax to 803-799-9420.