Location: Columbia, Greenville and Pee Dee (Florence) Offices
Job Type: Regular – Full-time
Job Summary: Provide a wide range of civil litigation to low-income individuals and families residing in South Carolina through extended and limited legal services. Civil litigation will primarily be in the areas of consumer, housing and family law, though the attorney may work in other priority areas of law depending on client needs. Litigation experience in these areas, plus experience with a broad range of other advocacy tools and community education, is strongly preferred. The position requires some evening and weekend work. It may also require overnight trips. Position requires bilingual skills.
A more detailed job description is available upon request.
▪ Member of the SC Bar
▪ Knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedures, Rules of Evidence, Rules of the Family Court, and Rules of Appellate Procedure
▪ Knowledge of the principles of civil practice and time management
▪ Excellent research and legal writing skills
▪ Strong oral, written and presentation communication skills
▪ Bilingual skills required (Spanish)
▪ Excellent computer skills, including Windows and Microsoft Office
▪ Excellent relationship building skills
▪ Demonstrated competence in working with diverse clients and client communities
▪ Commitment to public interest/poverty law
Job Open Date: July 1, 2014
Job Close Date: July 7, 2014
Applicants interested in applying for one or all three positions may submit a resume, two writing samples and three references with cover letter to: South Carolina Legal Services, Attn: Human Resources – Staff Attorney – (Specify Location), PO Box 1445, Columbia, SC 29202 or by fax to 803-799-9420.