The South Carolina Fair Housing Center (SCFHC) has an opening for a Program Coordinator. The National Community Reinvestment Coalition is creating and establishing this new fair housing center in Columbia, SC, under a grant from the Department of Housing & Urban Development.
Founded in 1990, NCRC is a private, non-profit organization headquartered in Washington, D.C. NCRC will provide extensive training and technical assistance to the new organization’s staff and Board of Directors.
Job Description and Qualifications
Bilingual Program Coordinator - Foreclosure Prevention/Fair Housing/Lending
Attend assigned training (may involve local, distance travel or be web-based).
Coordinate community and media outreach and public interest advocacy efforts to educate at risk populations about:
• Agency services and programs
• Foreclosure Prevention Services, Mortgage Rescue Scam avoidance, Fair Housing and Consumer Protection [anti-discrimination] laws and resources
• Make Public Presentations
• Conducting intake interviews pertaining to mortgage foreclosure, predatory lending and discrimination
• Assist with Spanish language translations as needed
• Assist with investigation efforts as needed
• Gather and analyze pertinent data
• Report mortgage scam abuses to appropriate sources
• Assist in preparation of needed reports of grant related activities
• Assist in disseminating press and notices intended to inform public of events, rights, resources
• Assist in developing Social Networking capability (e.g. FaceBook and Twitter)
• Other duties as assigned by the Agency Executive/Project Director or Program
• Coordinator/Manager to successfully fulfill the agency’s goals and mission.
• The Outreach Coordinator will educate and alert homeowners who have a sub-prime mortgage loan or those in jeopardy of foreclosure, those at risk of becoming a victim of loan modification scams, and homeowners in need of general information on approved mortgage foreclosure prevention programs and Fair Housing and Fair Lending Rights.
• The Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for organizing and conducting activities to raise awareness of resources available without charge to the public in conjunction with assigned staff under the supervision of the Program Coordinator and the Executive Director.
• Ability to fluently communicate with non-English language proficient Spanish speakers is required and ability to utilize contracted Language Line translation service as needed to ensure services will be available to other ethnic and racial minorities vulnerable to predatory lending and Fair Housing violators.
• Commitment to equal housing opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion/creed, sex (gender), familial status (families with children under 18 years of age), handicap/disability (mental and physical), marital status, age (over 18), military status, sexual orientation or source of income.
• An ability to perceive housing issues from an advocacy perspective, and to articulate ideas and facts in writing and verbally. Willingness to interact with the Press/Media outlets and outside agencies; government officials; conduct public speaking.
• An ability to relate comfortably and effectively with respect and tact to people of all races, lifestyles, and economic levels. Congeniality with fellow workers is essential.
• Strong written, verbal, and computer skills. Working familiarity with Excel, Word, and Internet required.
• Punctuality, reliability and willingness to work occasional weekend or evenings.
• Highly organized, attention to details, follow through on instructions, ability to multitask, self-starting and ability to work with minimal supervision. Positive attitude and ability to respectfully communicate with staff, attentive to details.
• Commitment to SCFHCs Mission promotion of racial and economic integration, decent and affordable housing.
• Valid Driver’s license, personal transportation, willing bi-county traveler.
This position will require:
Demonstrated experience in community organizing, media outreach and advocacy.
Outstanding project management skills — must be able to set priorities, plan, and manage multiple projects simultaneously with high attention to detail and deadlines.
Exceptional English and Spanish verbal and written communication and skills and the ability to compose and/or deliver clear, concise pieces for media, varied audiences, including community residents, service organizations, policymakers. Competency in Windows, Word, Excel, Power Point, databases and Internet research.
Passionate commitment to Fair Housing/Fair Lending with focus on educating clients, promoting equity and ending unlawful predatory lending practices and discrimination.
Familiarity with mortgage loan processes and related consumer issues;
Familiarity with Tenant’s Rights;
Familiarity with Fair Housing/Fair Lending Laws
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Use subject line “Program Coordinator.”
Deadline is September 13, 2013.
NCRC and SCFHC support affirmative action and are dedicated to promoting equal employment opportunity.