ABOUT THE SEMINAR
Examine evidence from the most important point of view—the judge’s—and upgrade your working knowledge and understanding of evidence with the most popular and published expert in this fast-changing field.
In this dynamic, practical, practice-based program, Tom Mauet uses his vast experiences as a trial lawyer, law professor and judge to help you organize evidence in the way it should be—from the judge’s perspective.
Mauet frames his presentation by using the three Rs:
• Is it relevant?
• Is it reliable?
• Is it right?
He focuses on potential problem areas—raising and making persuasive objections—and highlights his points with memorable flow charts and examples. This highly-acclaimed, comprehensive, entertaining program is enhanced by a
continuous visual presentation and a detailed evidence manual.
You will find useful checklists for immediate implementation into your practice:
• Master the seven methods of impeachment
• Define the original documents rule and utilize character traits to your benefit
• Revisit the law of evidence in a way that will help you win the evidentiary wars before, during and after trial
The program includes an analysis of FRE 502 and its impact on:
• Subject matter waiver
• Inadvertent waivers made during the discovery process
• The effect of federal court orders on other federal and state court proceedings
• First steps—what to do as soon as an evidence problem arises.
• The three Rs approach to evidence.
• Making objections that persuade the judge.
• Establishing proper foundations for witnesses and exhibits.
• Nine steps of expert testimony admissibility.
• Understanding the hearsay / non-hearsay dichotomy.
• Seven impeachment methods and rehabilitation.