SCBAR
  Login
About The Bar

The South Carolina Bar began in 1884 as the South Carolina Bar Association, a voluntary organization of approximately 200 lawyers. The South Carolina State Bar was created in 1968. The two organizations were merged in 1975. Currently the Bar has a membership of more than 14,500.

The House of Delegates establishes policy for the Bar. It meets at least twice a year and includes delegates from each judicial circuit. Between House meetings, the Board of Governors may act on matters not inconsistent with House policy.

The Bar staff is divided into seven divisions: Communications, Continuing Legal Education, Finance, Law Related Education, Membership Services, Public Services and Media and Technology. The Executive Director directs the staff and is responsible to the Board for the Bar's day-to-day operation. Questions about membership and any concerns should be addressed to the Membership Services Division at P.O. Box 608, Columbia, SC 29202, (803) 799-6653, or a staff listing is also available.